Average Reading Time: 3 minutes
According to the U.S Department of Health and Human Services, older adults are most likely to face problems such as chronic diseases, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease and infections, including pneumonia. Making sure that older adults get psychical activity is very important to allow their muscles to grow stronger and avoid serious conditions that deteriorate their health.
In an issue of the BioMed Research International, it was stated that: “exercise training in older people has been associated with health benefits such as decreased cardiovascular mortality.” In addition to that, it was pointed out that “exercise may also have benefits for the brain centers that support executive control.” At the Y, we are committed to promoted exercise among our older adults’ members to contribute to maintaining their health and wellbeing.
Benefits of an Active Lifestyle:
- Exercise prevents common diseases such as heart diseases or diabetes.
- It has been proven that being active improves mental health.
- It can improve your mobility, strength and balance.
- It can help to prevents falls.
Try the Older Adults Y Classes!
At the YMCA, we’ve made the health and fitness of our seniors a top priority by providing programs for the spirit, mind, and body. Through group exercise classes and aquatic programs that concentrate on mobility, flexibility, dance classes, social events, and volunteer activities, the YMCA is bringing Active Older Adults members together for camaraderie, fellowship, and fun.
We have a variety of programs design to keep out older adults active in a fun, secure and positive environment, and most of them are free for members!
- Silver Sneakers and Active Older Adults: Two classes specialized in muscular strength exercise and range movement
- Water Fitness: Strengthening the muscle while keeping the joints safe
- Zumba Gold: A Zumba class based on lower intensity
- Yoga & Pilates: Proven to help alleviate and reduce many health challenges
Are you a member of the Y? Learn more about our schedule, virtual Y or programs.
Wanting to give a try to the Y? Get the free guest pass and enjoy of our programs for a week!
Share your Healthy Journey at the Y with us!
If you have a healthy journey story at the Y, and you would like to share it with us, please reach out to our Community Relations Coordinator, Clary Tanner!