One year ago, when our YMCA wellness centers were closed for the first time, we had to pivot. Our community was tested in ways we have never seen before, and the Y was called to action. Together, we adapted to the challenges of a pandemic and learned new ways to provide critical programs that kept our communities engaged, healthy and safe.
While this past year was incredibly challenging and uncomfortable for our communities, members, volunteers, and staff, we were quick to remember that growth is often uncomfortable. Staff, volunteers, and donors invented new ways to serve, and moved quickly to help others. However challenging; essential workers, seniors in our community and the Governor’s office asked us to step into the work. Here is how our Y family served our communities over the past year.
Being an organization of service is a rich part of our legacy and will continue to lead us into the future. We will, of course, continue to offer the high-quality youth development, healthy living, and outreach programs and services that our communities need and expect from the Y. But we are quickly adapting to the ever-changing needs of our communities. Looking ahead here are some ways we are adapting to serve:
- We will invest more fully in our staff and volunteers to develop future leaders.
- We will recommit ourselves to creating a culture that is diverse and inclusive.
- We will continue to meet the most immediate human needs with a focus on food insecurity and affordable housing.
- We will provide financial assistance to low-income households to ensure more than 10,000 children and families have access to YMCA programs that strengthen families.
- We will serve 1,000 youth and teens in programs such as Workforce Readiness, Youth and Government, and Teen Leaders Club to teach them the skills to become leaders, continue their education, and enter the workforce.
We are so proud of our Y family, their dedication and creativity, generosity, and commitment to serving others. We invite you to stay with us in this great cause as we continue to make thousands of lives better.
Yours in health,
Bob Rice, Board Chair
Bryan Madden, CEO