At the Desert Foothills Family YMCA Monica, a Registered Dietetic Technician wants to share healthy recipes with you! Click Here to learn more about Monica
Yield: 6 servings
You Will Need:
6 large bell peppers
1.5 lbs. raw lean ground meat (ex: ground turkey)
2 cups cooked wild or brown rice
2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 (15oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 medium onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup shredded cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Cut just the tops off the peppers and remove seeds and ribs from inside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground meat, cooked rice, of the can of chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, cheese, egg, salt and pepper.
3. Mix well until evenly combined.
4. Stuff peppers with mixture and place into crockpot, stuffed side up.
5. Pour stock over and around peppers.
6. Next, pour the rest of the canned tomatoes in.
7. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4-5hours or LOW for 6 hours.
Yield: 4 servings
1 red bell pepper cored and cut into 4 pieces
1 eggplant (about 1 pound), cut across into 1 inch rounds
1 medium onion, cut into 1 inch slices
2 medium zucchini, cut lengthwise into 1 inch slices
Olive oil cooking spray
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved 1 cup chopped fresh mint
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Arrange the vegetables in a single layer on a tray or work surface. Lightly spray both sides with olive oil cooking spray. Preheat a grill or grill pan over a medium-high heat. Grill the vegetables in batches until both sides are nicely charred and the vegetables are just tender, about 10 minutes for the pepper, about 8 minutes for the eggplant and onion, and about 6 minutes for the zucchini. When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, cut into 1 inch pieces and transfer to a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and oregano. Pour over the vegetables and toss. Season to taste, with salt and pepper. Gently stir in the tomatoes and mint. Divide the salad between 4 plates and sprinkle with the feta.