ARE YOU AT RISK* OF TYPE 2 DIABETES?
Take control of your health and join our program designed to prevent the onset of diabetes.
The YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program is a proven, evidence-based program that has helped countless individuals reduce their risk of developing diabetes. This program provides group support, expert guidance, physical activity and nutritional education. Take the first step towards a healthier future today!
HOW IT WORKS:
Our 12 month long program engages participants in 16 core sessions, followed by monthly maintenance sessions, which focus on small, measurable lifestyle goals. With group support and instruction from Lifestyle Coaches, participants learn how to incorporate healthier eating, physical activity, problem-solving and coping skills into their daily lives.
The curriculum is CDC-approved and is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program.
WHAT YOU GET OUT OF IT:
- Group Support: You won’t be alone on this journey. You’ll join a supportive group of individuals who are also working towards preventing diabetes. Share your successes, learn from others, and find motivation in a community that understands your goals.
- Expert Guidance: Our Lifestyle Coaches are passionate about diabetes prevention and will provide you with the knowledge and tools you need to make lasting lifestyle changes. They will support you every step of the way and help you overcome any obstacles you may encounter.
- Physical Activity: Our Lifestyle Coaches will help you find enjoyable ways to incorporate exercise into your daily routine, making it easier to stay active and improve your overall health.
- Nutrition Education: Learn about healthy eating habits, portion control, and how to make nutritious choices. Our program emphasizes balanced meals, mindful eating, and practical strategies to navigate food choices in various settings.
WE WELCOME PARTICIPANTS WHO:
- In order to qualify for the program, you must be at least 18 years old, with a BMI > 25 (BMI > 23 for Asian individuals) and at high risk for one of the following:
- Developing type 2 diabetes indicated by a confirmatory blood value*
- Prediabetes determined by clinical diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes (GDM) during previous pregnancy, or
- A qualifying risk score (see The CDC online quiz.)
- Individuals who have already been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program.
*A confirmatory blood value means that you have a blood test result in the prediabetes range within the past year. A prediabetes range is any of the following:
- Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7–6.4%
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL
Need more information? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org