The Valley of the Sun YMCA, Department of Defense initiative provides membership access to eligible armed services personnel and military families.
Through the YMCA Military Outreach Initiative, launched in 2008, $31 million in government funding is available for eligible military families and active duty personnel to receive free memberships at full-facility YMCAs in their communities.
Through this collaborative partnership, participating YMCAs throughout the United States and Puerto Rico will provide this program for the following Title 10 DOD Military Groups: Families of Deployed National Guard and Reserve, Active Duty Assigned to Independent Duty Locations, Relocated Spouses of Deployed Active Duty Personnel, and Community-Based Wounded Transition Unit. The initiative is limited to Title 10 personnel only per Department of Defense guidelines.
All Valley of The Sun YMCA will offer short-term memberships for adults or families in six-month intervals. Membership fees for this initiative are underwritten by the Department of Defense (DOD) and provides access to youth development, family strengthening, and health and well-being programs.
For more information and to determine eligibility please contact Jennifer Garcia, Director of Armed Forces program at 602-212-5127 or our Contact Us form.
Title 10 personnel are eligible for a Y membership, including:
- Family members of deployed National Guard and Reservists
- Active Duty Independent Duty personnel and their families
- Relocated spouse/dependent children of deployed Active Duty personnel
Note: The Relocated Spouse category supports families/spouse who relocate away from an installation/duty station while the active duty service member is deployed. All of the following criteria must be met:
- The service member is on active duty.
- The service member is DEPLOYED for a minimum of six months (on deployment orders—NOT unaccompanied orders, NOT geographic bachelors).
- The spouse has relocated away from the military installation where the service member is assigned (most often, back home near family).
- Wounded service members assigned to a Community Based Warrior in Transition Unit (CBWTU)
- Contact Military OneSource at www.militaryonesource.com or 800-342-9647 to confirm your eligibility and receive an eligibility form.
- Find a participating Y in your area.
- Fill out and bring your eligibility form, Military ID and any other required documentation (usually, your Deployment Orders or Military Service Headquarters approval letter) to a participating YMCA for verification. Please do not leave copies of these documents at the YMC