The Valley of the Sun YMCA, Department of Defense initiative provides membership access to eligible armed services personnel and military families.
Through the YMCA Military Outreach Initiative, launched in 2008, $31 million in government funding is available for eligible military families and active duty personnel to receive free memberships at full-facility YMCAs in their communities.
Through this collaborative partnership, participating YMCAs throughout the United States and Puerto Rico will provide this program for the following Title 10 DOD Military Groups: Families of Deployed National Guard and Reserve, Active Duty Assigned to Independent Duty Locations, Relocated Spouses of Deployed Active Duty Personnel, and Community-Based Wounded Transition Unit. The initiative is limited to Title 10 personnel only, per Department of Defense guidelines.
All Valley of The Sun YMCAs will offer short-term memberships for adults or families in six-month intervals. Membership fees for this initiative are underwritten by the Department of Defense (DOD) and provides access to youth development, family strengthening, and health and well-being programs. Discounted memberships are available for retired military personnel. Must present ID at time of registration.
For more information and to determine eligibility, please contact Jennifer Garcia, Director of Armed Forces Program at 602-212-5127, or via our Contact Us form.
Title 10 personnel are eligible for a Y membership, including:
- Family members of deployed National Guard and Reservists
- Active Duty Independent Duty personnel and their families
- Relocated spouse/dependent children of deployed Active Duty personnel
Note: The Relocated Spouse category supports families/spouse who relocate away from an installation/duty station while the active duty service member is deployed. All of the following criteria must be met:
- The service member is on active duty.
- The service member is DEPLOYED for a minimum of six months (on deployment orders—NOT unaccompanied orders, NOT geographic bachelors).
- The spouse has relocated away from the military installation where the service member is assigned (most often, back home near family).
- Wounded service members assigned to a Community Based Warrior in Transition Unit (CBWTU)
- Contact Military OneSource at www.militaryonesource.com or 800-342-9647 to confirm your eligibility and receive an eligibility form.
- Find a participating Y in your area.
- Fill out and bring your eligibility form, Military ID and any other required documentation (usually, your Deployment Orders or Military Service Headquarters approval letter) to a participating YMCA for verification. Please do not leave copies of these documents at the YMCA.