A deliciously hearty Mexican stew.
Recipe Source: Delicious Heart Healthy Latino Recipes
- 2 lbs lean beef (eye round roast), cubed
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ C cilantro
- 1 can (15 oz) stewed tomatoes
- ⅓ can (2 oz) no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 can (1 lb, 13 oz) hominy
1 Heat olive oil in a large pot. Gently blot beef cubes dry with paper towels, carefully place them in the pot, and sauté.
2 Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, cilantro, and enough water to cover the meat. Cover pot and cook over low heat until meat is tender.
3 Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for about 20 minutes.
4 Add hominy and continue cooking for another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat. If too thick, add water for desired consistency.