Beginning in March 2020, the Valley of the Sun YMCA has reallocated our vital resources to support the growing critical needs in our community caused by COVID-19. Although a loss of revenue due to the mandated closure of our fitness facilities has created a strain on these resources, we remain committed to doing what is best for our community. Our fitness operations may be temporarily suspended, but the majority of our programs continue on.
With the help and generosity of our amazing members and neighbors, we continue to operate:
- As back-to-school plans remain uncertain, the Y’s role in child care continues to be at the forefront of what so many of our members need. We are committed to partnering with schools and families to bridge the gap and help parents manage virtual learning schedules, in addition to ensuring that our youth are engaged, happy and safe. This means that all child care operations will continue with all appropriate mask mandates, social distancing, cleaning and safety protocols in effect. Hours of operation are from 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. More information is available at valleyYMCA.org/y-academy.
CHILD CARE FOOD PROGRAMS
- We know that families rely on us to not only provide supervision, but often times, meals for their children while they aren’t in school. The Y will continue to assist food-insecure youth this fall by providing meals and snacks to all children in our care.
SENIOR ISOLATION PREVENTION
- We know that seniors remain one of the most at-risk populations for COVID-19 and even as we reopened, many of our senior members weren’t ready to come back just yet. As such, we will continue our senior outreach program to connect with those who need a supportive friend or voice during this uncertain time.
TRANSITIONAL HOUSING ASSISTANCE
- As the YMCA also provides transitional housing and a safe space to live for several Downtown Phoenix residents, we will continue to operate the Y’s only remaining residence at the Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA.
YOUTH AND ADULT CAREER SERVICES
- The Valley of the Sun YMCA will continue to provide adult and youth career services through this uncertain time; providing one-on-one counseling for resume building and job search assistance.
VIRTUAL FITNESS PROGRAMS
- Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, we have created a robust virtual experience loaded with fitness content for all members of the community to use at home. Please visit the Virtual Y page to explore free workouts and family activities for your enjoyment.
- Visit our public Facebook page for free live-streamed workouts to get your blood pumping and your body moving at home!
- Please be sure to also download and check our mobile app for various challenges to engage with your community.