In 1987, the United States Congress designated the month of March as Women’s History Month. However, it was a year later in 1988, that the president officially issued proclamations of its celebration. Previously it was held for just one week and was an initiative organized by the school district of Sonoma, California in 1978.
Every year in the month of black history month, there is a specific theme to celebrate that was declared by the National Project of the History of Women. This year’s theme is “Women providing healing, promoting hope.” According to the National Women’s History Alliance, the theme “is a tribute to the ceaseless work of caregivers and frontline workers during this ongoing pandemic and also a recognition of the thousands of ways that women of all cultures have provided both healing and hope throughout history.”
In addition, this month is celebrated to honor, reflect, and commemorate on the contributions of women to United States History.
INSPIRING AND POWERFUL QUOTES BY STRONG WOMEN THROUGH HISTORY
- “The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity.” – Amelia Earhart
- “The more you praise and celebrate your life, the more there is in life to celebrate.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “Girls are capable of doing everything men are capable of doing. Sometimes they have more imagination than men.”- Katherine Johnson
- “I raise up my voice—not so I can shout but so that those without a voice can be heard… We cannot succeed when half of us are held back.” – Malala Yousafzai
- “I really think a champion is defined not by their wins but by how they can recover when they fall.” – Serena Williams
- “Don’t ever make decisions based on fear. Make decisions based on hope and possibility. Make decisions based on what should happen, not what shouldn’t.” – Michelle Obama
- “Fight for the things that you care about, but do it in a way that will lead others to join you.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
- “We’re all water from different rivers, that’s why it’s so easy to meet; we’re all water in this vast, vast ocean, someday we’ll evaporate together.” – Yoko Ono
- “You don’t have to play masculine to be a strong woman.” – Mary Elizabeth Winstead
- “I say if I’m beautiful. I say if I’m strong. You will not determine my story—I will.” – Amy Schumer