The Valley of the Sun YMCA is committed to providing opportunities to learn lifesaving skills. We offer certifications and training for employment opportunities and community safety:
- YMCA Lifeguard Certification (FREE for YMCA Applicants)
- This course is designed to provide participants the knowledge and skills necessary to be a lifeguard and professional rescuer. Participants will be certified in American Safety and Health Institute’s (ASHI) courses: CPR Pro (BLS) for the Professional Rescuer, Basic First Aid for the Community, and Emergency Oxygen Administration. Minimum age to participate is 16 years old.
- YMCA Swim Instructor Certification (FREE for YMCA Applicants)
- This course awards the YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor Certification. After successful completion of this course, instructors will be able to identify components of the YMCA Swim Lessons continuum, demonstrate the behaviors of an effective YMCA Swim Lessons Instructor, maintain an inclusive environment of learning while keeping order in a positive and safe environment, employ swim teaching techniques that break down the critical features of a swimmer’s skill progression at any age and stage and demonstrate the swim instructor’s role in the safety process and during an emergency. Minimum age to participate is 16 years old.
- CPR/AED/First Aid Training
- This class will give you the skills and certification to perform CPR, use an AED and perform Basic First Aid with Health & Safety Institute. Minimum age to participate is 11 years old.
- Babysitting Certification with CPR/AED/First Aid
- This class will certify you in Babysitting and CPR AED First Aid with Health & Safety Institute. Ages 11-16 years old. The program includes instruction on the business of babysitting, proper supervision, basic caregiving skills, and guidelines on how to recognize and handle problems that may occur. This program is not intended to meet any regulatory requirements for child care providers.
Where Safety Belongs
The Y is committed to keep our communities safe!